1. Short Duration Surcharge
If ten percent (10%) or more of Customer’s completed calls billed to a particular Customer’s total metered outbound toll calls during any Billing Cycle are six (6) seconds or less in duration (each a “Short Duration Call), then WCS will charge, in addition to the rates for those calls, a surcharge of $0.01 per Short Duration Call (including for the short duration calls below the 10% threshold).
2. Access Arbitrage Surcharge
Using any service provided by WCS in connection with Access Arbitrage is considered an abuse and is prohibited. Access Arbitrage is a scheme or device to profit by exploiting differences between the cost of originating or terminating access (as charged to interexchange or international carriers) and the pricing of long distance service provided by WCS.
Access Arbitrage includes:
- Using switching equipment or a call processing system (such as a prepaid card, calling card, or teleconferencing platform) to segregate calls and systematically route to WCS calls that are characterized by a greater discrepancy between the access costs and the price charged by WCS.
- Using WCS long distance telephone services (such as networkWCS SIP Trunking Service or resale 1+) as a substitute for, or to avoid, originating or terminating switched exchange access obtained from local exchange providers, for the origination or termination of domestic calls originated over the network of another carrier (through 1+ access, special access, carrier access code dial around, or otherwise).
- Routing calls through a call processing system such that the percentage of High Cost minutes routed to WCS using the service is more than 8.0%.
- Segregating calls within another carrier’s network or a call processing system to systematically route calls to WCS where the access costs exceed the price of long distance service provided by WCS.
- Transporting intrastate or intra-country traffic into a different state or country in order to cause the traffic to be rated by WCS at a lower rate than would otherwise apply.
If WCS reasonably suspects that a service provided under this Service Guide is being used in connection with Access Arbitrage, Customer will permit WCS to inspect the premises from which the calls originate (as reflected in WCS’s records) and will cooperate reasonably with WCS’s efforts to investigate the manner in which calls are being routed to WCS.
The Access Arbitrage Fee is $0.05 for each minute of use of long distance service for High Cost Calls in excess of 8.0% of total calls.
For purposes of this provision:
- “High Cost Calls” are calls that originate or terminate at numbers for which the originating or terminating switched exchange access cost per minute exceeds $0.025 (or the benchmark rate for Competitive Local Exchange Carrier’s interstate switched exchange access services established by the FCC or State regulatory commission, if lower than $0.025).
- The originating or terminating switched exchange access cost per minute will be the sum of the per minute charges imposed by the originating or terminating Local Exchange Carrier, plus the prorated portion of all other charges imposed by the originating or terminating Local Exchange Carrier for originating or terminating switched exchange access, expressed on a cost per minute basis.
If the percentage of High Cost minutes routed to WCS using the service is more than the percentage set forth above, and WCS’s investigation shows that any such calls are originated over the network of another interexchange carrier or routed through a call processing system, then all such calls will be presumed to be Access Arbitrage.
If Customer violates this provision, the Access Arbitrage Fee will apply. In addition, WCS may immediately restrict, suspend or discontinue Customer’s use of any service used in connection with Access Arbitrage upon notice of such violation to Customer. Further, WCS may prevent conversion to another WCS service arrangement of any facility used to provide a service in violation of this provision.